Wednesday, December 10, 2008


I AM LEDGEND...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzfv1mCh8Rs


....and I drive a mustang!



The movie I AM LEDGEND, starring Will Smith, begins with a fairly long scene of him driving through the deserted New York city in a bright red Ford Mustang, racing stripes and all. The company nor the name of the vehicle are ever mentioned but it is a very recognisable product and no introduction is necessary. I'm pretty sure later on in the movie he also drives a Ford truck, but its recognition isn't as prominent as the roaring red Mustang that opens the movie.


In doing some research for product placement, I found that quite a few of Will Smiths movies are saturated with product placement. Men in Black I and II are probably the most memorable with the Mountain Dew scene, and other brands such as Victoria's Secret, Burger King and Sprint. Independence Day has a scene where they try to shoot a Coke can and the name is mentioned. Bad Boys II has a scene where a large Miller Genuine Draft truck drives by, as well as the use of quite a few different vehicles in its exciting car chase scene. And finally I.Robot begins its movie with Will Smith using a certain stereo brand, wearing converse sneakers (and mentioning their name in case you didn't catch it) and driving and a specific car. Obviously Will Smith sells products. I know I want to buy a new Mustang with hideous racing stripes after watching I AM LEDGEND.

Over all I think the product placement in most of his movies are done fairly well and actually do add to the believability of the movie. There's nothing worse than watching a moving and seeing a can the say "Beer" on the side of it. In particular I think the scene with the red Mustang might have been a little over the top, and I guess I just expect Will Smith to be driving a better car than what spoiled sixteen year old boys and girls get. It might have been bright red color, or the racing stripes that threw me off, but I'm certain that was done for contact between the dark, gloomy background. Maybe had the car not looked brand new I might have believed it more.

But over all Will Smith must be doing something right and I sure hes making tons of money on top of the money he already get for his movies. Smart if you ask me.


-Alyse Hutchins




No comments:

ABOUT THE BLOG

This is the blog for the TR section of Media & Society, Fall 2008, at Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi. The blog will feature postings by students on a variety of media topics.